Robert Stirling was a cabinet maker, upholsterer, and seller of carpet and bedding who lived at 25 Moray Place (now 52 Marywood Square) from around 1897. He began in business in 1880, but all record of him and his business disappears after 1906-07. Mrs Annie E R Stirling still owned theproperty in 1915, but was renting it out.
The Post Office Directories also record J H N Stirling and Fergus Stirling at the same address and working for the same firm at some point, possibly his sons.
Previously he lived at 34 Leven Street in Pollokshields, and had a showroom on the corner of Renfield Street and Bath Street. Later he moved to Strathbungo and had his works at 1-13 Cumberland Street, Calton, in the Gorbals.
Rev Henry Fraser was the first owner and occupier of 12 Moray Place, until at least 1875. He was the first pastor of the United Presbyterian Church on Langside Avenue. The church opened in 1857 (as Langside Road UP Church), but was replaced with a new building by John Bennie Wilson in 1897. That church in turn became St Helen’s RC Church, a role it still fulfils today, on the corner of Deanston Drive.
Henry (Harry) Edward Clifford was a local architect who lived for a significant period at 12 Moray Place, commemorated by a brass plaque on the wall.
Clifford’s notable local buildings include Pollokshields Burgh Hall, several Pollokshields villas, Clydesdale Cricket Club Pavilion, and tenements on both sides of the Cathcart Circle line; the red sandstone tenements of 17-57 Fotheringay Road, and the blond sandstone tenements of 44-88 Terregles Road, extending round into Shields Road. He designed Titwood Parish Church on Glencairn Drive, but later taken down and rebuilt as St James’, Pollok. He also created a number of buildings in Campbeltown.