Property Search Results
The results below are in three sections. The first confirms the address you searched on, including details of any previous addresses used by the property. This may be because of street renumbering c 1930, or a street name change.
The second section lists all known previous residents at the property, based on historical records. These are mainly old Glasgow Post Office Directories to 1939, and valuation rolls from 1875 to 1925. They mostly predate the gardens but there are now a few records for these properties too. If any item in the results appears clickable, you’re in luck – it likely links to articles on the website covering that property or individual in more detail.
The third section contains some historical notes on the whole street.Property ID: 66
|No||Street||From||Until||Former No||Former Street||Historical Notes|
|12||Moray Place||c. 1864.|
Home of Rev Henry Erskine Fraser, first pastor of the UP Church on Langside Avenue, now St Helen's RC Church.
Home of William Buchanan, of Buchanan Bros, grain millers, 58-62 Dale St, Bridgeton. His brother James lived at 13 (now 28) Regent Park Square.
Home of H E Clifford, Architect. Brass plaque to that effect on wall.
|Rev Henry Erskine Frazer||1865||1874||Glasgow Post Office Directory|
|Reverend Henry Erskine Fraser||Owner Occupier||1875||Valuation Roll|
|William Buchanan||Owner Occupier||1885||Valuation Roll|
|William Buchanan||1886||Glasgow Post Office Directory|
|Grace Louisa And Charlotte Murray Clifford||Owner Occupier||1895||Valuation Roll|
|Grace Louisa And Charlotte Murray Clifford||Owner Occupier||1905||Valuation Roll|
|Henry Edward Clifford||Owner||1915||Valuation Roll|
|William Forrest||Tenant Occupier||1915||Valuation Roll|
|Mrs Hannah W Westwood||Owner Occupier||1920||Valuation Roll|
|Mrs Hannah W Westwood||Owner Occupier||1925||Valuation Roll|
|Moray Place||1-10 1859-61, Alexander Thomson, occupied 1862. |
11-17 c.1862, occupied 1864.
18-25 c.1872-3, built by William Brown, first occupied c.1874
19-33 c.1876-7, no 31 occupied in 1877, the others by 1878
Laid out c 1860, by John McIntyre (builder) and William Stevenson (quarrymaster & mason) from the land of Sir John Maxwell.
The renowned architect Alexander "Greek" Thomson designed 1-10, and lived at No 1. He did not design any further buildings in Moray Place or the Squares, however, although the Titwood Place and Salisbury Quadrant tenements in Nithsdale Road and Nithsdale Drive were probably built to his design.
A William Brown, builder & mason, lived at 6 Regent Park Terrace in 1868 (PO Directory)