Property Search Results
The results below are in three sections. The first confirms the address you searched on, including details of any previous addresses used by the property. This may be because of street renumbering c 1930, or a street name change.
The second section lists all known previous residents at the property, based on historical records. These are mainly old Glasgow Post Office Directories to 1939, and valuation rolls from 1875 to 1925. They mostly predate the gardens but there are now a few records for these properties too. If any item in the results appears clickable, you’re in luck – it likely links to articles on the website covering that property or individual in more detail.
The third section contains some historical notes on the whole street.
|No||Street||From||Until||Former No||Former Street||Historical Notes|
|6||Moray Place||See also the 6 Moray Place blog post for a fuller description of this property's history.|
1859, Alexander Thomson.
|John A Ferguson||of Ferguson, Shaw & Dick||1862||1886||Glasgow Post Office Directory|
|John A Ferguson||52||Step Manufacturer Anton Parker Employing 5 Man And 6 Boys||Head||1871||1871 Census|
|Elizabeth Ferguson||47||Wife||1871||1871 Census|
|Mary Ferguson||23||Daughter||1871||1871 Census|
|Elizabeth Ferguson||21||Daughter||1871||1871 Census||b. Girvan|
|John A Ferguson||18||Chemists Analytical||Son||1871||1871 Census|
|Annie Ferguson||16||Daughter||1871||1871 Census|
|William Ferguson||14||Scholar||Son||1871||1871 Census|
|David Ferguson||17||Scholar||Son||1871||1871 Census|
|George Ferguson||10||Scholar||Son||1871||1871 Census|
|Alice Ferguson||8||Scholar||Daughter||1871||1871 Census|
|Marion Sneddon||18||Domestic Servant||Servant||1871||1871 Census||b. Cambusnethan Lanarkshire|
|John A Ferguson||28||Soap Manufacturer Employ 12 Men||Head||1881||1881 Census|
|Annie Ferguson||26||Sister||1881||1881 Census|
|David Ferguson||27||Produce Salesman||Brother||1881||1881 Census|
|George Ferguson||20||Saw Apprentice||Brother||1881||1881 Census|
|Alice Ferguson||18||Music Teacher||Sister||1881||1881 Census|
|William H Ferguson||18||Scholar||Cousin||1881||1881 Census|
|Catherine McNeil||24||Domestic Serv||Servant||1881||1881 Census||b. Skye Broadford|
|Trustees Of The Late John A Ferguson||Owner||1885||Valuation Roll|
|John A Ferguson||Tenant Occupier||1885||Valuation Roll|
|John A Ferguson||38||Soap Manufactures & Oil Mercht||Head||1891||1891 Census|
|Annie Ferguson||36||Sister||1891||1891 Census|
|George Ferguson||30||Writer||Bro||1891||1891 Census|
|Alice Ferguson||28||Sister||1891||1891 Census|
|Mary Marshall||27||(Gen) Domestic Servant||Serv (Servant)||1891||1891 Census|
|James Gray||Owner Occupier||1895||Valuation Roll|
|James Gray||63||Hat manufacturer||Head||1901||1901 Census||b. Campsie Stirlingshire|
|Janet Gray||61||Wife||1901||1901 Census|
|Jeannie Gray||27||Daur (Daughter)||1901||1901 Census|
|Annie Davidson||25||Serv (Servant)||1901||1901 Census||b. Navin Nairnshire|
|James Gray||Owner Occupier||1905||Valuation Roll|
|James Gray||Owner Occupier||1915||Valuation Roll|
|James Gray||Owner Occupier||1920||Valuation Roll|
|William Gray And Others The Trustees Of James Gray||Owner||1925||Valuation Roll|
|William Gray||Tenant||1925||Valuation Roll|
|Thomas Steele Campbell||1939||Glasgow PO Directory 1939-40|
|Moray Place||1-10 1859-61, Alexander Thomson, occupied c. April-July 1861. Unoccupied at census on 7 April, but Thomson's daughter Helen was born there on 9 July.|
11-17 c.1862, occupied 1864.
18-25 c.1872-3, built by William Brown, first occupied c.1874
19-33 c.1876-7, no 31 occupied in 1877, the others by 1878
Laid out c 1860, by John McIntyre (builder) and William Stevenson (quarrymaster & mason) from the land of Sir John Maxwell.
The renowned architect Alexander "Greek" Thomson designed 1-10, and lived at No 1. He did not design any further buildings in Moray Place or the Squares, however, although the Titwood Place and Salisbury Quadrant tenements in Nithsdale Road and Nithsdale Drive were probably built to his design.
A William Brown, builder & mason, lived at 6 Regent Park Terrace in 1868 (PO Directory)