The results below are in three sections. The first confirms the address you searched on, including details of any previous addresses used by the property. This may be because of street renumbering c 1930, or a street name change.

The second section lists all known previous residents at the property, based on historical records. These are mainly old Glasgow Post Office Directories to 1939, and valuation rolls from 1875 to 1925. They mostly predate the gardens but there are now a few records for these properties too. If any item in the results appears clickable, you’re in luck – it likely links to articles on the website covering that property or individual in more detail.

The third section contains some historical notes on the whole street.

NoStreetFrom UntilFormer No Former Street Historical Notes
8Marywood Square187919313Princes Square

NameAgeOccupation ProprietorNote FromUntilSourceComments
William Rafferty Owner Occupier 1885 Valuation Roll
No record 1886 Glasgow Post Office Directory
William Rafferty Owner Occupier 1895 Valuation Roll
William Rafferty Fish SalesmanProprietor£55pa 19001914 Valuation Roll
William Rafferty Owner Occupier 1905 Valuation Roll
Mrs Mary Rafferty Owner Occupier 1915 Valuation Roll
James Money Owner Occupier 1920 Valuation Roll
James Money Owner Occupier 1925 Valuation Roll
Margaret G Dawson Matron, Dawson Nursing HomeJames Money, Architect, 42 Clincart RoadMaternity home 1935 1935 Valuation RollSee Nursing article

Street Historical Notes
Marywood SquareThe 1859 Glasgow PO Directory lists the Titwood brickyard of A & T Hamilton, brick and tile makers, that previously occupied the site. The original feu disposition of 1860 between Sir John Maxwell, and William Stevenson & John McIntyre refers to compensation to be paid to Alexander Hamilton, brickmaker in Glasgow and Thomas Hamilton, brick and tile maker, Auchingray Brick and Tile Works, Carnwrath, since they would be required to vacate the site. The Brickworks were still on a map of 1870 however.

Originally named Princes (and occasionally Prince or Prince's) Square.

The north side was first occupied in 1879, just before the south side of Queen Square. It was built by Robert Weir in 1877-79, a builder based in Allanton Terrace, 1-10 Langside Road, Crosshill. It was not a financial success and Robert took his own life at 35. His father William Weir, a fellow builder, inherited.

The south side followed in 1884, a gap of six years, likely due to the financial crisis that followed the 1878 collapse of the City of Glasgow Bank. They were first advertised for let for summer 1884, though not listed in the PO Directory until c1886. The builder was probably James Robertson, a mason & builder of Pollokshields, who subsequently went bankrupt and the terrace was acquired by William Stevenson.

The street was renumbered between 1929 and 1930 (new numbering in 1930 valuation roll & PO Directory), but not renamed Marywood Square S1 until 18th Nov 1932. The name was changed probably because it clashed with Princes Square in central Glasgow. Strathbungo became incorporated into Glasgow after Princes Square was laid out.

The street was originally numbered consecutively up one side then down the other. On renumbering No 13 was omitted, as it was in each of the other squares.