Property Search Results
The results below are in three sections. The first confirms the address you searched on, including details of any previous addresses used by the property. This may be because of street renumbering c 1930, or a street name change.
The second section lists all known previous residents at the property, based on historical records. These are mainly old Glasgow Post Office Directories to 1939, and valuation rolls from 1875 to 1925. They mostly predate the gardens but there are now a few records for these properties too. If any item in the results appears clickable, you’re in luck – it likely links to articles on the website covering that property or individual in more detail.
The third section contains some historical notes on the whole street.Property ID: 12
|No||Street||From||Until||Former No||Former Street||Historical Notes|
|26||Marywood Square||1879||1931||12||Princes Square||This and No 24 were sold by Elizabeth Fairlie's estate, by Public Roup, in 1902 (Herald advert). No 24 was sold to the tenant. The fate of No 26 is unknown.|
|W Simpson||1879||Glasgow Post Office Directory|
|Duncan Graham||Tenant Occupier||1885||Valuation Roll|
|William Weir||Owner||1885||Valuation Roll|
|Duncan Graham||Saddler||Lachlan Seymour Graham||?50pa||1886||1914||Valuation Roll|
|W Fairlies Trustees||Owner||1895||Valuation Roll|
|Duncan Graham||Tenant Occupier||1895||Valuation Roll|
|W Fairlies Trustees||Owner||1905||Valuation Roll|
|Duncan Graham||Tenant Occupier||1905||Valuation Roll|
|Andrew Nicol Campbell Smith||Owner Occupier||1915||Valuation Roll|
|Andrew Nicol Campbell Smith||Owner Occupier||1920||Valuation Roll|
|Alfred Howell||Owner Occupier||1925||Valuation Roll|
|Mrs. M. S. Buchan||1939||Glasgow PO Directory 1939-40|
|Marywood Square||The 1859 Glasgow PO Directory lists the Titwood brickyard of A & T Hamilton, brick and tile makers, that previously occupied the site. The original feu disposition of 1860 between Sir John Maxwell, and William Stevenson & John McIntyre refers to compensation to be paid to Alexander Hamilton, brickmaker in Glasgow and Thomas Hamilton, brick and tile maker, Auchingray Brick and Tile Works, Carnwrath, since they would be required to vacate the site. The Brickworks were still on a map of 1870 however.|
Originally named Prince, Prince's and then Princes Square.
The north side was first occupied in 1879, just before the south side of Queen Square. It was built by Robert Weir in 1877-79, a builder based in Allanton Terrace, 1-10 Langside Road, Crosshill. A William Weir was also involved in the business.
The south side in 1886.
The street was renumbered between 1927 and 1930 (new numbering in 1930 valuation roll), but not renamed Marywood Square S1 until c1934, a deed of that date using the old address, but a map of 1936 using the new one. The name was changed probably because it clashed with Princes Square in central Glasgow. Strathbungo became incorporated into Glasgow after Princes Square was laid out.
The street was originally numbered consecutively up one side then down the other. On renumbering in the 20th Century, No 13 was omitted, as it was in each of the other squares.