Property Search Results
The results below are in three sections. The first confirms the address you searched on, including details of any previous addresses used by the property. This may be because of street renumbering c 1930, or a street name change.
The second section lists all known previous residents at the property, based on historical records. These are mainly old Glasgow Post Office Directories to 1939, and valuation rolls from 1875 to 1925. They mostly predate the gardens but there are now a few records for these properties too. If any item in the results appears clickable, you’re in luck – it likely links to articles on the website covering that property or individual in more detail.
The third section contains some historical notes on the whole street.
No | Street | From | Until | Former No | Former Street | Historical Notes |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
28 | Moray Place | c. 1890. In the 1970s, 27-32 operated as The Consort Hotel |
Name | Age | Occupation | Proprietor | Note | From | Until | Source | Comments |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
Francis Armstrong | Owner | 1885 | Valuation Roll | The original feuar of the block, so possibly the builder. He was an architect based in Dumfries. | ||||
George Turnbull | Tenant Occupier | 1885 | Valuation Roll | |||||
George Turnbull | 1886 | Glasgow Post Office Directory | ||||||
Graham Hutcheson And Others | Owner | 1895 | Valuation Roll | |||||
John C Gulliland | Tenant Occupier | 1895 | Valuation Roll | |||||
John C Gulliland | Tenant Occupier | 1905 | Valuation Roll | JA Gulliland, Writer. JC Gulliland (of Rbt McTear & Co), auctioneer. Gullilands also at Marywood Square and the Gardens. Involved in a tram accident. See BNA | ||||
Margaret Edgar Gulliland | Owner | 1905 | Valuation Roll | |||||
John C Gulliland | Tenant Occupier | 1915 | Valuation Roll | |||||
Margaret Edgar Gulliland | Owner | 1915 | Valuation Roll | |||||
John C Gulliland | Tenant | 1920 | Valuation Roll | |||||
Margaret Edgar Gulliland | Owner | 1920 | Valuation Roll | |||||
Jessie R Walker And Jessie R Monteith | Tenant. School | 1925 | Valuation Roll | See The Moray School | ||||
Moray School | Occupier. School | 1925 | Valuation Roll | See The Moray School | ||||
William Monteith | Owner. School | 1925 | Valuation Roll | See The Moray School | ||||
Moray School | 1939 | Glasgow PO Directory 1939-40 |
Street | Historical Notes |
---|---|
Moray Place | 1-10 1859-61, Alexander Thomson, occupied c. April-July 1861. Unoccupied at census on 7 April, but Thomson's daughter Helen was born there on 9 July. 11-17 c.1862, built by John McIntyre & Wiulliam Stevenson, architect unknown. Occupied 1863-4. 18-25 c.1872-3, feued to William Brown, first occupied c.1874 19-33 c.1876-7, feued to Francis Armstrong, a Dumfries architect. No 31 occupied in 1877, the others by 1878 Laid out c 1860, by John McIntyre (builder) and William Stevenson (quarrymaster & mason) from the land of Sir John Maxwell. The renowned architect Alexander "Greek" Thomson designed 1-10, and lived at No 1. He did not design any further buildings in Moray Place or the Squares, however, although the Titwood Place and Salisbury Quadrant tenements in Nithsdale Road and Nithsdale Drive were probably built to his design. William Brown, builder & mason, built 18-25. He previously built the Pollokshaws Road tenements (Regent Park Terrace) and himself lived at No 6 Regent Park Terrace. He died during construction in 1873 aged 49. |
Recent Comments