Property Search Results
The results below are in three sections. The first confirms the address you searched on, including details of any previous addresses used by the property. This may be because of street renumbering c 1930, or a street name change.
The second section lists all known previous residents at the property, based on historical records. These are mainly old Glasgow Post Office Directories to 1939, and valuation rolls from 1875 to 1925. They mostly predate the gardens but there are now a few records for these properties too.
The third section contains some historical notes on the whole street.Property ID: 227
|No||Street||From||Until||Former No||Former Street||Historical Notes|
|72||Nithsdale Road||1894||?||72||Titwood Place|
|72||Nithsdale Road||1877||1893||8||Titwood Place|
|William Bennie||Tenant Occupier. Shop 4/5/8||1885||Valuation Roll|
|Andrew Macintyre||Owner. Shop . 4/5/8||1885||Valuation Roll|
|William Bennie & Sons||1886||Glasgow Post Office Directory|
|Andrew Macintyres Trustees||Owner. Shop||1895||Valuation Roll|
|Thomas Jenkins And Company||Tenant Occupier. Shop||1895||Valuation Roll|
|Thomas Jenkins And Company||Tenant Occupier. Shop||1905||Valuation Roll|
|Mrs Janet Macintyre||Owner. Shop||1905||Valuation Roll|
|Sydney Brown||Tenant. Shop||1920||Valuation Roll|
|William Macintyre||Owner. Shop||1920||Valuation Roll|
|Alexander B Robertson And Company||Occupier. Shop||1925||Valuation Roll|
|Mary A Macintyre||Owner. Shop||1925||Valuation Roll|
|Alexander B Robertson||Owner Occupier. Machinery||1925||Valuation Roll|
|Alexander B Robertson||Tenant. Shop||1925||Valuation Roll|
|Niven, H. C. & Co.||1939||Glasgow PO Directory 1939-40|
|Nithsdale Road||Originally laid out as Matilda Place, as required in the original feuing document of 1860, although building did not commence until around 1876.|
The Old Shiels Road to the Pollok estate left Pollokshaws Road at the junction that is now Nithsdale Street & Allison Street. It followed the route of Nithsdale Street, and then (beyond the as yet unbuilt railway line) that of Nithsdale Road. Branches beyond the railway ran to Old Sheils Farm and Titwood Farm.
When Sir John Maxell, 8th Baronet, feued the land to John McIntyre and others on 18 July 1860, the documents specified the construction of a new road, from the Old Shiels Road down to the Turnpike Road (Pollokshaws Road), to be named Matilda Place. The name most likely derived from Sir John's late wife, Matilda Harriet Bruce, daughter of Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, he who misappropriated the Elgin Marbles. Matilda had died in 1857.
A further feu disposition in November 1875 between William Stevenson the quarrier and William Howie & Son required the latter to build a tenement within one year. The tenement specified in the feuing document became known as Matilda Terrace, with what is now Sammy Dows being number 1. This was first occupied in 1878.
The opposite tenement was built by Robert Turnbull to a Greek Thomson design in 1877, and completed first. It extends from Nithsdale Street, round the rotunda on the corner, and along Nithsdale Road; this was known as Titwood Place, with No 1 in Nithsdale Street and so again with the low numbers at the railway end of the street. However the buildings at the north eastern corner, including the side of the tenement of Elgin Place on Pollokshaws Road (where The New Regent now sits), are not part of Titwood Place, and so were numbered 2-10 Matilda Place.
Around 1895, the street was renumbered to its current state, and the street became known as Nithsdale Road, although the tenement names persisted in use for some time.
After renumbering, 2-10 Matilda Place became 6-16, Titwood Place started from the eastern end at 18, while those on the opposite side, formerly No 1 Regents Park Terrace, became 5-9 Matilda Place, and eventually 5-9 Nithsdale Road, while Matilda Terrace ran from 13 to Sammy Dows at 69/71.
The Maxwells were related to the Lords Maxwell, Earls of Nithsdale, which may explain the origin of the name.